Image Map

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Becoming a theologian...again...

I grew up in a Reformed and fully Confessional Baptist family.  My daddy was amazing and early on instilled the love of theology in me.  I loved studying theology, and I loved doctrine.  

This past October I had a surgery on my jaw that took me out of commission for a long while.  It was terrible!  I lounged around in my jammies, on my special Queen recliner, watching Abbott and Costello movies, and reading...a lot.


It hurt to speak, it hurt a LOT to laugh (so why was I watching some of the greatest comedians of all time?), and of course it hurt to eat.  For 6 weeks I could only eat soft foods I could swallow.  I'm pretty sure I looked like this...




Thankfully, I love to read, so it was not that terrible of a situation for me.  My husband brought to my attention a book he had heard discussed on Christ the Center called Housewife Theologian by Aimee Byrd.  He told me that she sounded like someone who would be my friend, and so, hence-forward, when I talk about her to my hubby, she is known as, "you know, my friend, Aimee...the theologian?"  I'm not sure if she would appreciate that or not, but I mean it with almost all sincerity (since I don't actually know her I can't mean it with ALL sincerity).    Her interview with Camden Bucey and Nancy Guthrie was wonderful.  Here I had found a woman who loved learning about theology as much, probably more, than I did...AND she had written a book!  AND it was a book on how women should be theologians.  If I was at an auction I would have been the one jumping up and down in the back making sure I was seen yelling, "MINE!!!!" and then because I don't have a lot of money I would have ran forward grabbed it while saying something like, "YOINK" and ran out laughing wildly.  Anyone who knows me can see this all happening.

I have been so thankful for this work.  Having recently attended a church where I went backwards in my knowledge and thirst and desire for the Lord, I felt I really needed to hear what she had to say.  And while you think I sound horrible that I would say those things about a church, let me clarify.  This church firmly believed that women were all evil.  I'm not completely exaggerating there either.  Women were not allowed to do Bible Studies because we are so easily deceived.  We could do a book study, but not on a book of the Bible.  And if a question came up that required opening the Word, we had to stop, and refer it to a Pastor.  The Pastor even said his wife was not allowed to study the Bible on her own.  Now, I only attended this church for a year or so, but it was enough to do its damage.  I had no DESIRE even to study anymore.

In many ways, I believe my surgery was needed right at that time so that God could grab my attention fully and draw me back to Him.  He substantially used "my friend" to do that.  In her book, Housewife Theologian: How the Gospel Interrupts the Ordinary, she opened up what it means to be a woman living under God.  She piqued my desire and interest with every page.  Her questions at the end of each chapter felt like a shot through the heart (sorry for the Bon Jovi reference).  She spoke of how every believer was to be a theologian, and how that meant to study God, to KNOW HIM!  Not just on Sunday's, but every day and in every area of life.  I couldn't put the book down, and since I didn't have to because I was lounging around and being taken care of by others, I finished all 240 pages very quickly...especially for a person on pain pills.

"My friend" has been a gift from God in her book that she has written and also in her blog.  One thing that she mentions is that every year she picks something to study and for Christmas she gets books on that subject.  She is always learning, and I am praying that God would give me the ability to do the same.  This past Christmas I asked for books about Apologetics and Art.  (yes, I started with A's, but that doesn't mean next year I will do Baptism and Beer...although, maybe...)

And so, "My friend", this is to you...my first and second real pieces of painted art...



And if I must post a picture of me studying Apologetics, I suppose here is one...



so...go check out "my friend's" blog.  and go read her book.

2 comments:

  1. That picture looks like me when i talk to most people about theology lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol @ the picture of you studying apologetics. ~DOGS

    ReplyDelete