Image Map

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Being a RB in a Presbyterian world





I'm a Reformed Baptist.  WHEW!  That feels good to say.

I don't say that...ever.  It is not that I am ashamed of it, more that I do not want to be divisive.  See, we attend a Presbyterian church and are members there.  It is a wonderful church and we are very thankful to be there and to hear the Word diligently preached.  However, we have had an experience before where we were pestered about not baptizing our babies.  It wasn't in a church setting.  No, this came from members in the church, in our own home, in the midst of a time of fellowship.  And it did not just happen once or twice.  We know we are the odd ones in the church, and we are ok with that.  There are no good Reformed Baptist churches in our area and it is so nice to have a church so similar in belief that we can attend.  I have a few pieces of advice to any RB's attending a Presbyterian church...these might be particularly helpful to the Duchess of Hips...

1.  Remember that YOU are willingly attending a church that holds to a different view.

2.  Smile and be gracious to the parents who just baptized their baby.  To them it is a joyous occasion and you should not be grumpy cat, remember that they do NOT believe the child is saved during baptism.  (I realize some do...I'm not going into that)

3.  During a Bible study or time of fellowship when other congregants are discussing infant baptism, hold your tongue.  This is not a time to argue a Baptist viewpoint.

4.  This could be included in #3, but again...you should not be making this face...

5.  Do not be easily offended, be quick to forgive.  

6.  Remember Hebrews 10:24 "And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near."

So much more, but this is all I can say for now.  My little bear is needing his mama's attention.

9 comments:

  1. OK, but...um...what if I just am a grumpy cat? You're not saying I shouldn't be me, are you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. BAH HAHA!! The Duchess of Hips loves her name!!! She is also grateful for her OPC church and for this timely reminder. Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family and I are in the same boat as you... I see this as an opportunity to learn how to fellowship with true believers that I disagree with and a way to exercise those important fruits of the Spirit (such self-control, patience, not being offended easily, etc.). Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I appreciate the words of encouragement.

      Delete
  4. Good comments. As a member of a Presbyterian church who formally was a member of reformed baptist churches for many years (and was convinced of the RB position on the issue of baptism) I would add that it is probable a good idea to at least try to understand the Presbyterian and Reformed position on baptism and how they reach the conclusions that they do. In my denomination (OPC), I am not required as a member to fully subscribe to the confessional standards of my Church but I feel I should at least understand them as best as I can. I personally have been edified by this study and have learned a lot about the the unity of the covenant of grace and the unity of the people of God in all ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Troy, I agree that we should be willing to hear out the other side and always be convinced by scripture. No person should ever assume they have the corner on correct doctrine. We should always be teachable. My husband and I have studied it out a few times throughout the years and have come to the Baptist side every time. We are also a part of the OPC and since they hold to the Westminster and we hold to the 1689 London Baptist, there is very little we disagree on. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
    2. Yes, there is much overlap between the two groups and confessions in regards to theology and approach to ministry etc. Its an interesting study to compare the two confessions using the tabular comparison tools out there.

      Thanks again!

      Delete
  5. I'm in the same boat (http://www.puritanboard.com/blogs/eqdj/why-i-am-member-reformed-paedeobaptist-church-901/). As I suspect a lot of other 1689'rs are.
    Totes agree with everything you said and have bookmarked this post for sharing when this topic comes up!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete