Image Map

Saturday, March 15, 2014

An Introduction to a Discussion on Modesty

I was recently asked to write about the Purity Movement, and while I will do that I thought, I was being asked to write about Modesty.  I was in a quandary...I had to sit and think about what to do...

So I decided to do both, but I'll start with a series of posts on modesty.  

Today, however,  I will be discussing lust in preparation for my discussion on modesty.  Both modesty (defined as behavior, manner or appearance intended to avoid impropriety and indecency) and lust (intense or unbridled sexual desire) are ultimately heart issues between the individual and God.  

But have you noticed how you will mostly hear certain phrases when the subject of modesty comes up?
  • Your shirt is too low
  • Your skirt is too high
  • Your bathing suit doesn't cover enough 
  • You're making men lust
  • Don't wear heals with that skirt
The list can go on.  The first thing I notice here is that they are ALL outward signs of modesty except one.  The only one dealing with a non-clothing related issue is that of making men lust...I'm sorry, but I am not responsible for the sins that someone else commits.  Am I to be thoughtful of others?  Yes.  Should I make sure my top covers the important parts and my bottom covers the important parts?  Yes.  But nowhere am I called, as a woman, to hide that I am a woman.  My waist is not an abomination to the Lord.  My legs are not sinfully wicked.  A woman's body is part of God's good creation...you know what's not a part of God's good creation?  Lust.

While it is clear that lust is a sin, it doesn't seem clear at all to some people who the responsible person is for the lust.  Is it the one lusting?  or the one being lusted for.  Let me share some scripture...
  • James 1:14-15 "But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed.  Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death."
  • Mark 7:20-23  "And He said, 'What comes out of a man, that defiles man.  For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lewdness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness.  All these evil things come from within and defile a man'."
  • 2 Corinthians 5:10 "For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad."
It is pretty clear that the person who commits a sin will answer for himself for his own sin.  I will not answer for his sin.  I am not responsible for keeping anyone from thinking evil things.

Also, let us consider for a minute Joseph and Potipher's wife.  Remember in Genesis 39 how Potipher's wife was clearly lusting after Joseph and the lust in her heart turned into outward actions by coming to Joseph in verse 7 when she asked Joseph to lie with her.  The bible puts no blame on Joseph at all for the lust that Potipher's wife had.  While in this instance she CLEARLY is in the wrong here, what does Joseph do?  He explains how much his master trusts him and says, "...How then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God."   

The reason I deal with this issue first instead of delving straight into modesty of dress is two fold:
  1. I find that most people use a shame based method for trying to enforce their standards of modesty.  They do this by saying that the woman is causing the man to sin.  This is not biblical.  This is not helpful, and in most cases will not get the point across.
  2. We each are responsible for our own sins.  We need to stop putting this particular sin on the shoulders of women.  With what other sin do we do this with?

I'm sure there are fired up feeling over what I have written.  Let me reassure my reader that I have more to say on the topic.  Here is a list of the things I plan on discussing in future posts:
  • What is modesty?  
  • Is modesty only an issue for women?
  • What is a persons responsibility in matters of dress?
  • Where does 1 Corinthians 8 (where Paul says, "Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never again eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble.") fit into the modesty discussion?



Note::  This is a very delicate subject because people have such differing opinions on it.  If you have a comment to make please make sure it is lovingly done, if you can't do that please refrain from commenting.  



5 comments:

  1. The Duchess of Putrescence wonders if you will be dealing with Romans 14:13 in your post on personal responsibility. I love that you are using scripture and not just your personal opinion on the matter. Personal opinion has no binding authority on my conscience, but the Word of God most certainly does. Looking forward to the rest of the series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Duchess of Hips is delighted with how you're basing your discussion in the Word. People discussing this topic from their own opinion are terribly unconvincing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I should hope you have SOMETHING on this subject. The way young ladies strut about these days! Hmmph!

    ReplyDelete